The servers general policy regarding data is to save as much as needed and as little as possible. This document will try to explain what personal data is store and how it is handled.
What is stored
- The user name and a hash of your password
- The date of your account creation.
- Offline messages - If someone sends you a message while you are offline that message will be stored until you get back online.
- Archive - By default we will be keeping an archive of your messages for later retrieval by yourself. This can come in handy if you log in with a new device and want access to your message history and is also required if you want to use the OMEMO encryption with multiple devices. You can opt-out of this by setting your server-side archiving preferences with your XMPP client.
- Everything added to your contect card.
- Every file you share with a contact or a conference will be uploaded and stored for later retrieval by the recipients.
- A list of your contacts (Roster, Buddylist). This list is maintained by you. You decide who goes on that list and who gets deleted.
- Semi public data you are publishing for your contacts to see like your avatar or the OMEMO public keys.
- Other private data your XMPP client might upload like a list of conference bookmarks.
How your data is handled
- If you delete your account all related information will be deleted with it. Including your files and messages.
- All backups are encrypted.
Even though we will never look at the contents of your messages or files nor process them in an automated fashion we strongly advise you to use the OMEMO encryption whenever possible.